1979-1980 Mazda RX-7

Where have all the old RX-7s gone? The rotaries were known to have a lifespan of about 50K miles, if you babied it and were lucky. After the 5th engine rebuild the 4th owners usually scrapped them. Or abandoned them in the parking lot they died in, like this one...

What a shame. A quick Wiki-check verified that this is a 79 or 80, the first two years of the 7. It also mentioned a "tendency to oversteer". I think someone out there can testify to that (I'm not naming any names, you know who you are!). This one has rather odd damage above the bumper on the right. I wonder if they looped it into a fixed object? Gotta love that crafty taillight engineering though, at a quick glance you don't even notice it. If you look closely you can make out the 2005 expiration date on the tag. With some engine work this would make a great autocross/track car, once you get all the shrubbery out of the nose.

The interior is still fairly nice even. I'm continually amazed by the personal items left in abandoned cars. Out at the junkyard you would not believe some of the things I have seen, and I've only been there 3 times.

No comments: